This post is inspired by friend and client, Kate, who looks amazing in her red dress. She found the dress on her own, shortly after having a Fabuliss party and discovering she needed color!
As you think about what you’ll be wearing to this spring and summer’s weddings, nights out with the girls, dinner dates, etc., consider colorful alternatives to the little black dress.
With that in mind, a few considerations for the cocktail hours:
- Satin is tricky. I tend to steer clear of it with dresses, shoes and bags as it feels a lot like wedding dresses and prom.
- There can be a fine line between “wow!” and “oh em gee” in terms of the impression you’re making. If you are ever in doubt, simplify by not going overboard.
- If you want something to cover up the shoulders, try a wrap with metallic threads or something to give it some dimension, texture and elegance.
- Clutch purses are “in” and are a much prettier alternative to a tiny bag on a ridiculously long and skinny strap. Make sure it’s a clutch you can hold or put under your arm.
- Metallics are neutral. To distinguish between bridal (as in bridesmaid) and cocktail, stick with darker shades and opt for less strappy.
- Your shoes should be comfortable enough to consider dancing in, your dress should be long enough to sit down and cross your legs in and your other accessories should enhance who you are.
1) THE CLASSIC
Each piece says “classic” with its shape, simple lines and traditional elements.
I like a clutch that contrasts with the color of a dress and has a little something…otherwise what’s the point?
Shop these items: petite dress (Talbots, $169.00), regular dress (Target, $24.99), plus dress (Donna Ricco, $148.00), peep-toe pump (Endless, $58.90), floral clutch (Endless, $38.00), 18″ chocolate pearls (Target, $19.99)
2) THE SIZZLER
The accessories are rock-n-roll to take add definition to the sizzle. You could also opt for classic accessories.
With this look, be careful to ensure the “girls” are properly secured, where they should be and not falling out of the top of the dress and make sure the hemline is age-appropriate.
Shop these items: petite dress (Jones New York, $101.99), regular dress (Zappos, $180.00), plus dress (Macy’s, $59.00), peep-toe pump (Endless, $99.00), studded clutch (Endless, $61.09), layered necklace (Forever 21, $8.80)
3) THE SOPHISTICATE
This is what you wear to a formal wedding (in the evening), the fancy restaurant and opera date and/or when the significant other’s boss decides to have a dinner party.
With this look, it’s all about special details without going over the top.
Shop these items: petite dress (Chadwicks, $79.99), regular dress (Nordstrom, $148.00), plus dress (Kiyonna, $108.00), peep-toe pump (Endless, $143.15), box clutch (Endless, $115.00), rhinestone and stud necklace (BCBG MAXAZRIA, $78.00)
Lastly, I will confess to owning a little black dress that I was excited to finally find at age 37. That said, I have yet to wear it as I’m having too much fun with color!
Fabuliss can help you with your spring and summer wardrobe – for special occasions and every day. Go to Fabuliss.com for more information.